Health Benefits of Mint Leaves
How are you all? Today I am here to discuss the benefits of mint or Pudina. It is peak summer and I guess you need something that will cool you down naturally and there can be nothing better than pudina that can offer some respite.
Pudina is one of the oldest and most popular herbs that is grown around the world. Just like our dear Tulsi, mint grows very easily in the kitchen garden without any maintenance. It is an essential ingredient in many Indian and Middle Eastern cuisines. This herb is used in a range of dishes from parantha stuffing to raita ( curd). It is even added to my all time favourite Paani poori!!!!!!! Coming to our most favorite beverage- ‘Tea’ Pudina leaves are used to make the famous ‘Pudina Chai’. Pudina sherbet is also one among the famous beverages in India.
Mint grown in Asia is much strongly flavored than most European mints. It has a strong, slightly bitter taste (you would have tasted the leaves…) with a cooling aftertaste. No wonder mint is a very common flavor of lozenges and candies. Mouth fresheners, mouth washes, tooth pastes and chewing gums too opt for mint. It does not stop with edible items; you have soaps, face washes and even shampoos with mint extracts to offer that cooling effect to the skin and scalp.
Both, fresh and dried mint is used in preparing culinary delicacies. Let me tell you how to make dried pudina powder at home.
1. Buy fresh mint leaves or pluck them from your kitchen garden.
2. Place them in a wide plate and cover it with a muslin cloth
3. Keep this plate under the sun for two days.
4. After the leaves dry, grind them in the mixer.
5. Your pudina powder is ready to be added to your favorite food!
Health benefits of Pudhina include the following:
• It soothes the digestive tract and if you are having stomach ache then it can be of great help. This is true, when I have stomach ache or acidity I take Pudina ka satva capsules ( Pudin Hara) and believe me it gives so much relief. Mint is known to treat several gastrointestinal disorders.
• Drinking herbal mint tea reduces irritable bowel syndromes, cleanses the stomach and is a very good cleanser for the blood since it is an antiseptic and anti-bacterial.
• Mint is known to clear up skin disorders such as acne. It provides a cooling sensation to the kin and helps in dealing with skin irritations. Pudina face pack can be applied to the face for people suffering with acne. Try using fresh leaves instead of readymade face packs that are available in beauty stores.
• Mint helps in eliminating toxins from the body.
• Crushed mint leaves helps combat bad breath and plays a significant role in alleviating swollen gums, mouth ulcers and toothaches.
• Mint (essential oil) is also used in aromatherapy.
• Crushed leaves are also applied on the forehead and temple, to cure headaches. Most headache and pain relief balms have mint oil as their main ingredient.
You can also make your very own mouthwash from the fresh mint leaves. Just soak 2 tablespoons of chopped leaves in a glass of hot water for 30 minutes and strain. Use this as a mouthwash. This is something completely herbal and will give you a fresh breath without burning a hole in the pocket!
So go ahead and enjoy the goodness of pudina this summer!! How about some pudina chutney with parantha??
About the Author
Vinita Kochhar is Punjabi girl born and brought up in Chennai. She is an MBA in E-business and is currently in charge of the computer section in her father’s own firm. She used to be extremely thin back in her school days and people used to call her a skeleton. After she stepped into college things changed and she gained weight. She prefers to eat home cooked food, fresh fruits and have a glass of milk every day.
Read more articles by the author HERE
Health Benefits of Beetroot
How to make Raw Cocoa Chocolates.What are its Health Benefits.
Health Benefits of Dark Chocolate
How to Grow Wheatgrass at Home
Blistex Medicated Mint Lip Balm – Review
Mint Brown Eye Makeup Tutorial
VLCC Alpine Mint and Tea Tree Gentle Refreshing Face Wash Review
Ayur Mint Antiseptic Face Pack Review
Khadi Face Freshner Mint and Cucumber Review
Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque Review
The Nature’s Co Chocolate Mint Lip Balm Review
What were you looking for?
- pudina benefits
- mint benefits weight loss
- benefits of mint leaves
- mint leaves for weight loss